Calculating margins before launching a product on Amazon, Flipkart, or Meesho is an important step in ensuring the profitability of the product. Here are some steps to help you calculate your margins:
- Determine your cost of goods sold (COGS): This includes the cost of the product, any manufacturing or sourcing costs, and any additional expenses such as shipping and handling.
- Determine your desired markup percentage: This is the percentage by which you want to increase your COGS to determine the retail price of the product.
- Calculate the retail price: Multiply the COGS by the markup percentage and add it to the COGS to find the retail price.
- Subtract the COGS from the retail price to find the gross margin: This is the amount of money you will make on the product before accounting for any additional expenses.
- Subtract any additional expenses from the gross margin to find the net margin: This is the final profit you will make on the product after accounting for all expenses.
- Compare your net margin to your desired profit level and adjust your retail price accordingly: If the net margin is below your desired profit level, you may need to increase the retail price or reduce expenses.
Fee Structure of E-Commerce Platforms
It’s also important to consider the fees of the platforms you are using, such as Amazon, Flipkart, or Meesho, which can vary depending on the product category and sales volume, and may impact your margins.
It’s also important to note that margins can vary depending on the product, competition, and sales volume, and it’s a good practice to regularly review and adjust them.
Amazon fees refer to the charges that Amazon imposes on sellers for using its platform to sell their products. These fees can vary depending on the type of product, the category it belongs to, and the sales volume. The main fees that sellers need to be aware of when selling on Amazon include:
- Referral fee: This is a percentage of the sale price that Amazon charges for each item sold. The referral fee varies by category, but generally ranges from 6% to 45% of the sale price.
- Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) fee: This fee is charged for using Amazon’s fulfillment service, which handles the storage, packaging, and shipping of products. The fee includes the cost of storage, as well as a per-item fee for order handling, packaging, and shipping.
- Variable closing fee: This fee is charged for certain media products, such as books, DVDs, and CDs.
- Long-term storage fee: For sellers using FBA, if an item has been in Amazon fulfillment centers for more than 365 days, a long-term storage fee will be charged.
- Return processing fee: This fee is charged for items that are returned by customers.
It’s important for sellers to review and understand Amazon’s fees and pricing policies, as they can have a significant impact on the profitability of their sales. Amazon provides detailed information on its fees on its website, and it’s advisable for sellers to review it regularly.
Which one is better Amazon or Flipkart
Whether Amazon or Flipkart is better for selling products depends on the specific needs and circumstances of the seller. Both platforms have their own advantages and disadvantages.
Amazon is one of the largest e-commerce platforms in the world, with a wide reach and a large customer base. It has a global presence and allows for easy access to international markets. It also offers a wide range of tools and services for sellers, such as fulfillment by Amazon (FBA) and advertising options.
Flipkart, on the other hand, is one of the largest e-commerce platforms in India and it’s owned by Walmart. It has a large customer base in India and it offers a wide range of options for sellers, such as advertising options, and it also offers logistics and warehousing services.
Both platforms have their own strengths and weaknesses, and the best option will depend on the specific needs and circumstances of the seller. Sellers should consider factors such as the target market, the type of products they are selling, and the fees and policies of each platform before making a decision.
Meesho is a social commerce platform that allows individuals and small businesses to sell products online through social media platforms such as WhatsApp, Facebook, and Instagram. It allows users to create their online store and connect with potential customers, and also provides logistics and warehousing services.
Meesho is particularly popular in India as it’s a cost-effective and easy way for small businesses and individuals to start an online business. Meesho’s unique selling point is that it focuses on social selling, which allows sellers to tap into their personal networks, and expand their reach through social media platforms.
In comparison to Amazon and Flipkart, Meesho’s fee structure is generally lower, but it also has a lower reach and less visibility compared to those platforms. Meesho is a good option for sellers who want to start an online business with minimal investment and want to leverage their social networks to reach customers. However, it’s also important to consider the type of products you’re selling, and the target market before deciding which platform to use.
Best Category To Sell On E-Commerce Platform
The best category for an e-commerce store depends on the specific goals, target audience, and resources of the business. However, some popular categories that have traditionally performed well in e-commerce include:
- Fashion and clothing: Apparel and accessories are popular items for e-commerce stores, as they are easy to photograph, and can be shipped easily.
- Beauty and personal care: These products are also popular for e-commerce stores, as they are easy to ship, and consumers are often willing to purchase them online.
- Electronics: Consumer electronics, such as smartphones, laptops, and tablets, are popular items for e-commerce stores, as they are in high demand and can be easily shipped.
- Home goods: Home decor and furniture are popular e-commerce categories, as people are increasingly turning to online shopping for these items.
- Health and wellness: Products related to health and wellness, such as supplements, vitamins and personal care products, are also popular in e-commerce.
- Books and Media: Books, music, movies and video games are still in demand and have a great potential in e-commerce as well.
It’s also important to consider your own strengths and resources when
In conclusion, calculating margins before launching a product on e-commerce platforms such as Amazon, Flipkart, and Meesho is crucial for ensuring the profitability of the product. By determining the cost of goods sold, desired markup percentage, retail price, and subtracting additional expenses, sellers can determine their gross and net margins. It’s also important for sellers to understand the fee structure of each platform, as they can have a significant impact on profitability. The best category for an e-commerce store depends on the specific goals, target audience, and resources of the business, but some popular categories that have traditionally performed well in e-commerce include fashion and clothing, beauty and personal care, electronics, home goods, health and wellness, and books and media.
Leave a Reply