The procedure to register an international trademark typically includes the following steps:
- Conduct a trademark search: Before filing an international trademark application, it is important to conduct a thorough trademark search to ensure that the mark you wish to register is available and not similar to any existing marks.
- File an application with the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO): The process of registering an international trademark starts with filing an application with WIPO under the Madrid System for the International Registration of Marks. The application must include a clear representation of the mark, a list of goods and services for which the mark will be used, and the name and address of the trademark owner.
- WIPO Examination: After the application is filed, WIPO will examine the application to ensure that it meets the formal requirements and then send it to the designated countries for further examination.
- National Examination: The national or regional trademark offices in the designated countries will conduct their own examination of the application. The examination process can vary depending on the country, but it typically includes checking for any formal defects, assessing whether the mark is distinctive, and verifying that the goods and services listed in the application are acceptable.
- Publication: If the application meets the requirements of the country, it will be published for opposition. During this period, any person may file an opposition to the registration of the trademark.
- Registration: If there are no opposition or the opposition is overcome, the trademark will be registered. The registration will be valid for 10 years and can be renewed indefinitely for 10-year periods.
It’s worth noting that the whole process can take between 18-24 months, however, it can vary depending on the countries selected and the complexity of the application. Additionally, some countries may require additional steps, such as translation or local representation, which can add to the time it takes to register the trademark.
VISIT US WWW.SHEHZICREATIONS.IN
Leave a Reply